According to indigenous women, the Region’s gender equity challenges include:
• Inequality between men and women on living conditions, opportunities and human treatment
• The fact that there are no women leaders of any local government and very few female representatives within government.
They suggest many solutions to such problems in their Citizen Agenda, including:
• Increased quality education to disrupt control of communal bosses and the culture of machismo.
• Fight for respect from, the right to be listened to by, men and government officers and to not be abused in any form
• Push for unity and understanding around the truth that the only difference between women and men is their sex; all are equal before the law and in society and work.